This article is in collaboration with Memoria Press.
Memoria Press, a family-run publishing company, provides homeschooling families and private schools with the curriculum to teach their children using the classical education philosophy. Memoria Press states that a classical education is one in which wisdom and virtue are cultivated through the study of the liberal arts and the Great Books. Memoria Press products are characterized by three ideas: simplicity, quality, and affordability. They are designed to help individuals provide a classical education even if they are unfamiliar with the topic while still maintaining a high academic standard.
The Homeschool Review Crew reviewed several works including:
- Simply Classical Writing Book One: Step-by-Step Sentences (Bible Story Edition) and Simply Classical Writing Book Two: Step-by-Step Sentences (Bible Story Edition) with Teacher Key, Skill level about 1st-3rd grade
- Simply Classical Spelling Book One: Step-by-Step Words and Simply Classical Spelling Book Two: Step-by-Step Words, Skill level about 1st-3rd grade
- The Story of the Thirteen Colonies & the Great Republic Set and 200 Questions About American History set, grades 5-8
- The Wars of the Jew set, grades 9+
Simply Classical Writing Book One: Step-by-Step Sentences (Bible Story Edition) and Simply Classical Writing Book Two: Step-by-Step Sentences (Bible Story Edition) with Teacher Key, Skill level about 1st-3rd grade
Simply Classical Writing Book One and Two are part of the Simply Classical Special Needs curriculum materials offered by Memoria Press. Book One incorporates classical copybook, grammar rules for sentence writing, and composition into one workbook for children to learn early writing skills. There are 34 weeks of lessons in Book One (Bible Story Edition) that focus upon the stories of the Bible from Genesis through to the New Testament. Book Two continues the lessons and grammar rules introduced in Book One and teaches about nouns, pronouns, verbs, and more for children in grades first to third. These two books require A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories as an accompanying text. There are also Read-Aloud Editions available in addition to the Bible Story Editions.
Reviewers also received a copy of the Simply Classical Writing Book Two: Step-by-Step Sentences Teacher Key (Bible Story Edition) which includes sample answers for the questions found in Book Two of the student edition.
Simply Classical Spelling Book One: Step-by-Step Words and Simply Classical Spelling Book Two: Step-by-Step Words, Skill level about 1st-3rd grade
Simply Classical Spelling Book One: Step-by-Step Words and Simply Classical Spelling Book Two: Step-by-Step Words provide writers with a multi-sensory approach to spelling. Struggling writers of ages 6-8 will spend each week working on targeted Word Study exercises that will help them not only improve their spelling skills but also work on other cognitive abilities. Book One provides 34 weeks of instruction with 30 spelling lists and Book Two offers 34 weeks of instructions focuses on words grouped by vowels, consonants, and other sounds.
The Story of the Thirteen Colonies & the Great Republic Set and 200 Questions About American History set, grades 5-8
Memoria Press has combined the two-volume American history of H. A. Guerber into one volume for a one-year survey of American history for the middle school years. The edition published by Memoria Press has been edited to reflect the fact that events once considered “pivotal to history in the late 1800s have paled in significance with the passing of time and events such as two world wars.”
This set contains:
- Guerber’s The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic edited by Memoria Press into a 211 page second edition
- a teacher’s guide that contains facts, vocabulary, questions for each chapter, map-work, drawings, and more assignment suggestions
- a student edition of 32 lessons with space for students to write definitions of vocabulary and answers for comprehension questions.
The 200 Questions About American History Set, geared for grades 5-8, also contains three pieces:
- 200 Questions About American History Teacher Key
- 200 Questions About American History Student Book
- 200 Questions About American History flashcards
This set was designed as a supplement to Guerber’s The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic by Memoria Press. The questions come directly from their edited Guerber book and ask the 200 questions that Memoria Press thinks everyone should know about American History.
These new books are designed to help students prepare for a difficult high school American History course. The Teacher Key provides answers to the drill questions along with tests and keys. The flashcards drill questions, timeline dates, quotes, and cards to order the presidents.
The Wars of the Jews set, grades 9+
The Wars of the Jews Set contains three books to teach a short course about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. At the heart of the set is the book by Josephus who is considered to be the most trustworthy source for this event.
The Wars of the Jews Set contains three books:
- The Wars of the Jews written by Josephus (translated by William Whiston) about the fall of Jerusalem
- The Wars of the Jews Student Guide – a 26 page which will guide students through the work by Josephus (a Jew who was a Roman citizen during the first century AD) with comprehension questions and vocabulary
- The Wars of the Jews Teacher Guide – a 35 page book which contains answers for the questions in the student guide as well as unit tests and test keys
Connect With Memoria Press on Social Media
Thanks to Kristen of A Mom’s Quest to Teach for writing this introduction.