8 Ways to Incorporate Field Trips into your Homeschool

One of the major benefits we love about homeschooling is REAL life learning. Field Trips is a great way to take full advantage of the world around us in our homeschooling endeavors. Here are some tips to incorporating field trips into your homeschooling (If you aren’t already). 1. Set aside designated time for field trips … Read more

Homeschooling Outside the Box

Recently while away on a homeschool Mom’s retreat I was given a question. “Are you a Traditional Homeschooler or an Unschooler?” I thought about it for a moment and my answer was neither! When asked why that was my response I said, “because we do schoolwork from books but we take every opportunity to use … Read more

Learning Adventures with Literary Nonfiction

“Literary nonfiction” sounds like an oxymoron. How can nonfiction also be artistic, poetic, creative? However, such works as Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood and essays by Norman Mailer in the 60’s and 70’s gave rise to “New Journalism” – reporting events using such literary tools as point of view, narrative voice, scene structure, dialogue, and … Read more

Living A Beautiful Life: It’s the Small Moments

Several years ago, I stumbled across an interesting statistic. We spend 95% of our lives anticipating the other 5%. The 5%  makes up the “biggies” such as holidays, vacations and other celebrations.  As homeschool moms, we often live in survival mode (or is just me?) The expectations we (and others) place on ourselves can be overwhelming.  I can’t tell you … Read more

A Division of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine