This article is in collaboration with See the Light.
Many homeschooling moms feel pretty incompetent when it comes to teaching things like fine arts. “If I can’t draw a stick figure, how can I teach art?” they may ask. See the Light is a new possibility for such moms. Their tagline, “Drawing Children to Him” sums up some of the appeal of this program.
This video-based art curriculum teaches art techniques using fairly inexpensive supplies, along with art history and biblical concepts. Their Art Class consists of 36 lessons on 9 DVDs taught by Pat Knepley. There are three additional bonus lessons, one on each of the first three DVDs, led by other artists.
Pat loves art, and has been drawing ever since she was able to hold a crayon. She has a degree in Art Education and loves working with kids. This Art Class series teaches skills in a progressive manner, starting with The Basics of what should be in your toolkit and drawing a line, and ending at lesson 36 with drawing the human figure. This series is appropriate for children from 1st grade and up, and it could be appropriate for a middle school or high school student with little drawing experience.
The TOS Homeschool Crew received Volume 1: The Basics to review. This volume includes the following lessons:
- Tools of the Trade: what do you need to have on hand to be ready to draw
- It All Starts with a Line: where you learn different qualities of a line and about contour drawing
- Contours & Composition: where you start training your eyes and hands to be synchronized and work on a composition
- Draw What You See: where you complete a contour drawing of a shoe.
- Bonus Lesson: Chalk Artist Gloria Kohlmann teaches how to draw “Cross Hill,” the art shown on The Crossmaker
Pat is planning Year 2 of the Art Class, where the skills and techniques taught in year 1 will be used to draw a masterpiece each month/DVD.
See the Light also has created Bible Story DVDs, each containing a Bible story told through art, and three art lessons — a creative lettering lesson, a chalk pastel lesson, and a mixed media lesson. These include:
- The Christmas story (The Gift of Love)
- An Easter story (The Crossmaker)
- Moses (God’s Special Surprise — available soon)
- Paul (Shipwrecked — available soon)
- Jonah (God’s Runaway — available soon)
Powered by Linky Tools
To view the list of reviews please Click here.
Special thanks to First Mate Debra from Footprints in the Butter for writing this introductory article.