In May, families in the United States celebrate several important holidays, including one that allows them to celebrate the homeschool mom. We celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday in May each year to honor, love, and show respect for moms. This holiday can take on special significance for homeschool moms because of the additional responsibilities they take on to support their family.
Just as every homeschooling family is unique, every Mother’s Day is unique. Some homeschool moms love to be showered with praise and affection while others would like to quietly be acknowledged. There is no wrong way to celebrate the homeschool mom. We can show our gratitude for her hard work in a number of ways, not only on Mother’s Day but on each day of the year.
Let’s look at 85 ways we can celebrate the Homeschool Mom throughout the entire year!
There are so many fun homemade crafts that children can make either on their own or with a little bit of help from their grandparents, father, older siblings, or other family members. Children can celebrate their homeschool mom throughout the entire year and demonstrate their creativity and love.
- Homemade cards for Mother’s Day, Christmas, or just because!
- Homemade flowers with tissue paper, construction paper, origami paper, or other simple materials
- Wreath to hang on the door
- Handprint crafts to remember the small size of your children’s hands. Hands can be traced and cut out or created using paint
- Pottery or vase
- Children paper doll portraits. Using either a photograph of your child or a self-portrait, children can create their own figures with movable limbs using brads to attach their head, arms, and legs
- Suncatchers can be made using glass, plastic, tissue paper, or coffee filters.
- Bookends to hold mom’s favorite literature
- Pencil or pen holder
- Knit or crochet a sweater, scarf, or blanket
- Sew or decorate a new apron
- Create a new painting for the wall
- Screensaver or wallpaper with family photos
- Make a puzzle
- Write a thank-you letter
- Record a thank-you video
Special Days or Evenings
Celebrating the homeschool mom can be done by setting aside special days or evenings for just the mom to do something fun on her own or with the entire family. Plans can be made in advance and older siblings and fathers can help book a cabin at the lake for the entire family or a day at the spa just for mom. You are only limited by your imagination.
- Go on a family hike
- Scheduled a spa day for mom to enjoy either by herself, with friends, or with her daughters
- Visit a museum
- Visit a botanical garden
- Plan a day at the pool
- Lake day
- Beach day
- Shopping day
- Camping trip
- Visit the Renaissance Faire
- Family game night (We shared several from Byron’s Games that would be great for a family game night.)
- Virtual field trip or safari
- Family snowball fight
- Sledding day
- Escape Room adventure—You can either book an escape room or complete one in your own home!
- Book a family photo session
- Painting class
- Glass-blowing class
- Book an exercise class
- Visit the Farmer’s Market
- Visit a winery
- Book a flowering arrangement class.
- Book a cooking class.
- Complete a puzzle together.
- Visit the hair and nail salon.
Another wonderful way to celebrate the homeschool mom can be through preparing a special meal for her. Whether you treat her to breakfast in bed or you plan an afternoon lunch at her favorite restaurant, there are so many ways to enjoy meals together.
- Go out for Sunday Brunch after church
- Serve mom breakfast in bed
- Family dinner at a favorite restaurant
- Ice cream on the boardwalk
- Dessert for dinner
- Prepare her childhood favorites for breakfast, lunch, or dinner
- Thank you tacos night
- Plan a meal based around carnival food such as funnel cake, corn dogs, curly fries, or cotton candy
- Favorite takeout
- Pizza and a movie
- Bake her favorite treat
- Fondue night
- Indoor picnic
- Try a new recipe
- Cook a meal with mom
- Prepare a special tea time
Showing You Care
There are a multitude of ways you can show the homeschool mom that you care. From gifting her a gift certificate to her favorite homeschool curriculum company to taking the day to clean the house without being asked to do so, you can celebrate your homeschool mom every day!
- Clean a room for your mom
- Purchase something from her wishlist
- Buy her tickets to a concert or art show
- Buy a bouquet of flowers
- Buy a plant for the garden
- Gift her with a coffee mug with a funny saying or sentimental saying
- Supplement her coffee or tea supply with someone new or a favorite
- Attend a homeschool convention with her
- Take care of the pets for the day
- Do a load of laundry
- Do the dishes for the day
- Watch her favorite television show or movie with her
- Create a playlist of her favorite songs
- Learn to play or sing her favorite hymn
- Purchase her favorite sweet treat: chocolates, donuts, etc.
- Bring home a new animal for the homestead
- Help mom in the garden
- Create a scrapbook together
- Watch family videos together
- Write family goals
- Spoil her on Mother’s Day
- Convert old home movies to digital
- Start a book club with your mom
It’s Time to Celebrate
How will you celebrate the homeschool mom? You can pick a special day like Mother’s Day, mom’s birthday, or any day where she might need to feel special. If you want to hear more about celebrating the homeschool mom, visit the Show Notes for the Hey, Mama! Homeschool Show Podcast for How Should We Celebrate the Homeschool Mom?
This article has been written by Kristen Heider. She is the Business Building Team Manager of The Old Schoolhouse® and the Social Media Manager of HomeschoolingFinds.com. She shares more about her family’s homeschooling journey at A Mom’s Quest Teach.