AVKO is a non-profit organization, founded by Don McCabe, that specializes in teaching dyslexics how to read, write, spell and type. AVKO develops books and materials utilizing the multi-sensory approach (Audio, Visual, Kinesthetic, Oral) that can be used with anyone and by anyone. "AVKO materials and methods are all common-sense and effective with those we have worked with: young and old, dyslexic and non-dyslexic."
I stumbled across AVKO several years ago, when I was feeling helpless and confused on how to help my son, who was struggling with reading. The first purchase I made from AVKO was To Teach a Dyslexic, by Don McCabe. After reading Mr. McCabe’s book, I felt a sense a relief. I felt as though we now had a direction in which to move, when it came to teaching my son to read. From there, I purchased a one year membership, and shortly after, all 7 levels of Sequential Spelling. I cannot even begin to tell you how much AVKO has blessed our family.
Whether you have a struggling reader or not, the techniques and ideas that you can glean from Don McCabe will help you teach spelling and reading.
Every member of the crew will be receiving a one year membership to AVKO. I would like to point out that among all the wonderful resources that are included in an AVKO membership is To Teach a Dyslexic, by Don McCabe, the book that started our journey!
What else is included in an AVKO membership?
• Discounts on AVKO printed materials
• Hundreds of dollars worth of FREE e-books (PDF)
o The Patterns of English Spelling (All 10 Volumes) with Word Families in Sentence Context
o To Teach a Dyslexic
o Starting at Square One
o The Teaching of Reading & Spelling: a Continuum from Kindergarten through College
o The Reading Teacher’s List of Over 5,500 Basic Spelling Words
• Access to the Member Only section
• AVKO Newsletter with freebies, discounts, resources, and promotions
• Access to Don McCabe’s most popular workshop recordings in MP3 format.
• Supplemental Curriculum Materials including word games, worksheets, activities, and more!
• Access to Pretests and Placement Tests
• Access to the Answer Keys for the Unscramblers and Family Reunion exercises of the Engaging Language Kits
Please visit www.avko.org for more information, and don’t forget to check out the reviews from the crew!